September 29, 2020

Boko Haram crisis: Nigeria’s Baga town hit by new assault

0
0



Pin It

_80137266_80137262From

A screen grab from a video released by , showing its leader Abubakar Shekau delivering a speech – 31 October 2014 controls large swathes of Nigeria’s militant Islamists have carried out a second attack on the key north-eastern town of Baga, an official has told the BBC.

Boko Haram fighters burnt down almost the entire town on Wednesday, after over-running a military base on Saturday, Musa Alhaji Bukar said.

_80137258_80137257Bodies lay strewn on Baga’s streets, amid fears that some 2,000 people had been killed in the raids, he added.

Boko Haram launched a military campaign in 2009 to create an Islamic state.

It has taken control of many towns and villages in north-eastern Nigeria in the last year.

The conflict has displaced at least 1.5 million people, while more than 2,000 were killed last year.

_78679058_bokoAbandoned

On Monday, lawmaker Maina Maaji Lawan said Boko Haram controlled 70% of Borno state, which is worst-affected by the insurgency.

Mr Bukar, a senior government official in the area, said that fleeing residents told him that the town, which had a population of about 10,000, was now “virtually non-existent”.

“It has been burnt down,” he said.

Nigerian troops patrolling in the streets of the remote northeast town of Baga, Borno State on 30 April 2013 Government troops were overpowered during Saturday’s raid on Baga

_80064191_nigeria_boko_haram_v6People stand outside burnt houses following an attack by Islamic militants in Gambaru, Nigeria (11 May 2014) The group has torched many towns and villages in northern Nigeria

Those who fled reported that they had been unable to bury the dead, and corpses littered the town’s streets, he said.

Boko Haram was effectively in control of Baga and 16 neighbouring towns, Mr Bukar said.

Government troops abandoned the military base in Baga on Saturday, when the militants launched an assault.

It hosts the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF), made up of troops from Nigeria, Chad and Niger, although the BBC understands there were only Nigerian soldiers there at the time of the attack.

Set up in 1998 to fight trans-border crime in the region, the force more recently took on Boko Haram.

Thousands have fled Baga – many to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, and others to Chad.

A large number reportedly drown as they crossed Lake Chad following Saturday’s raid.

Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in Borno and two neighbouring states in 2013, vowing to defeat the militants.

However, Boko Haram has stepped up attacks since then, and there are fears that many people in the area will not be able to vote in next month’s general elections because of the conflict.

For more on this story go to: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30728158

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About ieyenews

Speak Your Mind

*