iLocal News Archives

‘Panama Papers’ to be analyzed at OffshoreAlert Conference

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.29.07 PMThe head of the organization that co-ordinated the biggest records leak in financial history – known as ‘The Panama Papers’ – will talk about the project at next month’s OffshoreAlert Conference in Miami Beach.

Gerard Ryle, of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, will participate in a panel discussion of the leak of 11 million files, how it came about, and its implications for the offshore world and its clients, who include global political leaders.

The Panama Papers
The leak has already caused the resignation of Iceland’s Prime Minister over the disclosure that he and his wife owned an offshore company.

The 14th Annual OffshoreAlert Conference on financial intelligence and investigations will take place at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach in Miami Beach, Florida on May 1-3, 2016.

The event attracts a uniquely eclectic mix of investigators, providers and buyers of high-value international financial products and services.

As prominent Washington, D.C.-based attorney Jack Blum told The Wall Street Journal for a profile of our conference: “It’s like that famous bar in ‘Star Wars’ where they all come together – the good guys, the bad guys, the seriously guilty – and they all exchange information on neutral territory.”

Approximately 40% of attendees live and work in offshore jurisdictions, most notably the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands, while the remaining 60% live in major countries, most notably the USA, the UK and Canada.

Other speakers at this year’s event include the Chief of the FBI’s Money Laundering Unit, James Barnacle; the recipient of a $104 million UBS whistleblower reward, Bradley Birkenfeld; the head of the IRS’ whistleblower program, Lee Martin; short-seller Keith Dalrymple, and leading providers of offshore products and services.

Among the 24 sessions are:

The Donald Trump Phenomenon: A Psychological Analysis.
Inside The Secretive Wold of Tax-Avoidance Experts;
Hypocrisy USA: The Country’s Role as a Money Laundering Center & Offshore Tax Haven;
Holding Banks Liable for Facilitating Terrorism;
Buying & Selling Second Passports: An Investigation;
How A Short-Seller Took Down Bermuda Reinsurer Gerova Financial;
UBS Whistleblower Brad Birkenfeld On Protecting, Supporting & Rewarding Whistleblowers;
An Investigator’s Guide To Offshore Red Flags & Fraud Detection;
Advanced Techniques in Asset Investigation and Debt Enforcement;
Bloomberg Billionaires Index: How Is It Calculated & Is It Accurate?;
False NAVs: Why Are Fund Administrators Wrong So Often & What’s Their Liability;
How To Read & Speak Body Language Like An FBI Agent;
IRS Whistleblowing Program 10 Years On: What Works, What Doesn’t & What Must Change;
Piercing The Corporate Veil: How Jurisdictions Differ;
FATCA: How To Stay Out Of Trouble With The US Government;
Big Data, Big Headaches: E-Discovery Developments in Criminal, Civil & Regulatory Investigations;
Recovering Assets & Enforcing Judgments in China Using Offshore Means;
US Law Enforcement Assault on Market Rigging: An Analysis;
Pre-Litigation Discovery: Latest Developments Across Jurisdictions;
Solving Previously Unsolvable Cases With Digital Forensics;
You Can’t Run a Ponzi Scheme Without a Bank: Victims Strike Bank;
Winding-Up Cayman & BVI Companies: Winning Strategies; and
Chapter 15: Offshore Case Round-Up & Updates.

The conference will show participants in international finance how to identify, evaluate and exploit opportunities, how to minimize risk, and available remedies if your once-promising deal turns sour.

You will also make valuable contacts by mingling with the crème de la crème in the private and public sectors of major onshore and offshore jurisdictions.

Our event is for everyone who is involved in high-value international finance – in any capacity. High Net Worth Individuals. Officers & Directors. Auditors. Bankers. Attorneys. Tax Advisers. Compliance Officers. Money Managers. Pension Fund Bosses: Investors. Investigators. Regulators. Law Enforcement.

If you’re involved in high finance, then you should be in South Beach this May.

Learn more about the conference here:

Book your ticket to attend here:


David Marchant
Owner & Editor, OffshoreAlert

P.S. Save $300 on booking fees through April 8. There’s still time to save, but you must hurry. Click here to book your ticket now and save $300!

The smoking hot, art deco Ritz-Carlton, South Beach is a beachfront bombshell, with a dynamite staff, a snazzy Club Lounge, and a long pool deck that leads right out to the beach. The ocean is on one side of this landmarked 1954 art moderne hotel, designed by Morris Lapidus, and the pedestrian Lincoln Road begins on the other: the locale is tops.

Book your room by April 13 to guarantee our discounted rate of $349 per night.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *