iLocal News Archives

Cayman Islands teams undefeated on opening day of CAL U15 Cup

AcademyLocal sides Academy Sports Club and Sunset FC were unbeaten on the opening day of the Cayman Airways U-14 Invitational Youth Cup at the Truman Bodden Sports Complex, while Cavalier Soccer Club from Jamaica also enjoyed an impressive start to the competition.

Sunset FC 0, REV Soccer Club 0

The tournament’s first match between Sunset FC and REV Soccer Club was punctuated by a 45-minute stoppage of play due to deteriorating weather conditions. Referee Marsha Eleweanya sent the players off the field in the 18th minute with thunder booming and the presence of lightning in the area. Resuming with the game scoreless, REV from Minnesota pressed the offensive agenda, spurred on by high energy from Ben Lessert up front but Owen Johnson sailed one to the right of the Sunset goal late in the first. The game remained scoreless at the half. Strong defensive play by both sides and brilliant work between the pipes by Lucas Burke for Sunset thwarted any opportunities for a score and the game ended goalless.

Academy SC 4, IFFDC 1

Academy SC took the early advantage over their opponents from Dallas, Texas compliments to a 7th minute goal from forward Jahmai Griffiths. Moments later, in an effort to double the lead, Griffiths collided with IFFDC keeper Connor Bryant, who appeared to seriously injure his leg and had to be helped off the pitch. Griffiths was issued a yellow card for the challenge. The Cayman side remained in attacking mode and with two minutes before the break, Harrison Hew found the back of the net to give his side a two-goal lead at the half. In the 39th, four minutes into the second half, Griffiths got his second score. Corey Smith added a fourth for Academy in the 68th and with the game pretty much sealed, substitute Luis Sloane scored for IFFDC in the 70th and denied Maxwell Twight a clean sheet.

Gillingham FC 0, Cavalier Soccer Club 2

In the nightcap, Gillingham from the UK and Jamaica’s Cavalier Soccer Club opened play at a frenetic pace. Grant Odejeh had the first good chance of the game but failed to put Gillingham ahead when his header from inside the box missed the mark. Dwayne Atkinson and Jamari Morrison both had chances but stellar defensive efforts from Gillingham, particularly by Tom Halliday and Charlie Banks, denied them any chance of conversion and the first half would end the way it started – scoreless. Cavalier SC was rewarded for their hard work when Shanthamoi Brown found himself one-one-one with Gillingham keeper Joe Walsh and displayed fancy footwork to evade the pouncing stopper, dribbling around him and tapping it into the net to give the Jamaicans the advantage. Tahje Tulloch doubled the lead in the 51st minute. Despite a few chances for both teams, nothing else would find its way past the keepers.

Play resumes today at the Truman Bodden Sports Complex when Gillingham FC faces Academy SC at 4:45 p.m. followed by Harbour View FC (Jamaica) vs. REV Soccer Club at 6:30 p.m. and then Tottenham Hotspur (England) faces Sunset FC at 8:15 p.m.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *