Cayman Prep and High School have produced a book of multi-cultural family recipes that everyone can enjoy.
It was made possible through the selfless efforts of the parents of Cayman Prep students who worked tirelessly to see the project through to fruition. iNews will be serializing local and world recipes from Prep to Success which is available to buy at Cayman Prep and High School, Diver’s Supply & Book Nook.
SALT BEEF AND BEANS
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories421.3, Protein28.33 Gm, Carbs 39.18 Gm, Fat 18.11 Gm, Cholesterol 0 mg, Dietary Fiber 0.669 Gm, Sugar 0.553 Gm, Sodium 19.16 mg, Calcium 91.29 mg, Potassium 975 mg , Iron 9.376 mg
SERVES 6 TO 8
1 lb. salt beef
1 (approx. 16 oz.) pack small red beans
1 can coconut milk
3 cups water
1 sprig fresh basil (with10 to 12 leaves on it)
1 sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
1 med. onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or left whole for less heat)
1. Soak the salt beef overnight (or boil it once), then discard the water to rid the salt beef of salt.
2. Soak the beans overnight or for a couple of hours; discard the water.
3. In a medium pot, boil the salt beef until almost tender. Drain off the water.
4. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, boil the beans until almost tender (do not pour off the bean water).
5. To the beans, add coconut milk, the 3 cups of water, salt beef, basil sprig, onion, bell pepper, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper.
6. Cook on the stovetop over Medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove the basil stem.
7. Serve with white rice, Fried Plantain, coleslaw and Cay m a n Corn Bread.
Caymanians traditionally enjoy dumplings or sea pie in their Salt Beef and Beans. To make sea pie, combine about 1 cup sifted flour and a pinch of salt with enough ice water to form a bread dough consistency; knead. Set aside in a bowl, covered with a kitchen towel, for several hours, so that it can sponge and become light. Roll out thin with a rolling pin. Stretch until very thin, and lay across top of beans towards the end of the cooking time. Cook for about 15 minutes before folding into the coconut mixture.
Salt Beef and Beans