October 25, 2020

Police review procedure after another robbery


Pin It

George Town detectives are investigating an early morning robbery which occurred in Eden Road at South Church Street, George Town.

It is yet another personal armed attack in the area making it the fifth similar robbery, or attempted robbery, in less than a week.

On Wednesday night a woman was threatened in Bodden Town but she ran off before the attacker could take any money.

Last Sunday a man was robbed outside his home in Palm Dale, George Town and other thieves also struck in West Bay.

Tuesday night saw a woman robbed near her home on Antoinette Avenue on the Webster Estates.

Although police are not linking the robbery spate, they are warning people to be extra vigilant. They also say they are planning on “reviewing procedure” after it took more than 30 minutes for an officer to arrive at the scene.

A spokesman for the RCIPS said: “About 7.15 am Thursday police received a report that a woman had been walking to work when she saw a man sitting on a fence. The man suddenly pointed what appeared to be a firearm at the woman and demanded cash before making off with her bag.

“The best description available at the current time of the robber is that he was wearing a black shirt,  baggy blue jeans and spoke with a Caymanian accent. He was last seen running in the direction of Windsor Park.

“The woman was not injured in the incident and immediately called the 911 emergency communications centre. The operator kept the woman on the phone, obtained initial details of the incident and, while the woman remained on the line, passed those details to the officer in charge of George Town police station.

“Shortly after the incident the victim began feeling unwell and was conveyed to the Cayman Islands Hospital where she is currently being assessed. Detectives are currently interviewing her and further details will be made in due course.

“This is the second such robbery in recent days where a woman has been targeted and the suspect or suspects have run off towards the Windsor Park area. While it is too early to say if the crimes are linked officers are asking the public to be vigilant and to report any suspicious activity in the area.”

Police say they will be reviewing their procedure after they were disappointed it took more than 30 minutes for an officer arriver.

The spokeswoman added: “In response to media reports that suggest that no police action was taken until almost 7.50am this morning, we can confirm that when the officer in charge at George Town police station ascertained from the 911 operator that the victim had not been injured the decision was taken to establish cordons in the area in an attempt to apprehend the suspect.

“The victim was made aware by the police, via 911, that an officer would not immediately attend the scene. However, on reviewing the incident we are disappointed that it took over 30 minutes for an officer to make physical contact with the victim at the scene.  As a result of this incident we will be reviewing our procedures to ensure that this does not happen again.”

Enquiries into the incident are ongoing and anyone who has any information which could assist police is asked to contact George Town police station on 949-4222, the RCIPS tip-line on 949-7777 or Crime Stoppers 800-8477 (TIPS).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Speak Your Mind