November 23, 2020

Man killed in New Zealand shark attack

Pin It

NZ PoliceA shark has killed a man off a beach near the New Zealand city of Auckland.

The attack took place around 13:30 (00:30 GMT) on Wednesday at Muriwai Beach, to the west of the country’s largest city.

The 47-year-old man was swimming when he was attacked. Police shot at the shark before it disappeared, they said in a statement.

_66095733_66095731Shark attacks are rare in New Zealand. Only 11 fatal attacks had taken place since records began in 1847, TVNZ said.

The last confirmed shark fatality was in 1976 in the Bay of Plenty, south-east of Auckland, it said.

A police statement said that the man suffered fatal injuries in the attack.

“Police and surf life savers went out in two IRBs (inflatable rescue boats) and fired on the shark. It rolled over and disappeared,” Inspector Shawn Rutene said.

The statement said the shark was thought to be about 12-14 feet (3.6-4.2m) long.

_66094812_newzealand_muriwai_0213Fisherman Pio Mose told Stuff news website: “All of a sudden… we saw the shark fin and next minute, boom, attack him, then blood everywhere on the water.”

Mr Mose said the man was still alive when “we saw another attack pull him in the water”. Other local reports also said more than one shark may have been involved.

It is still unclear what species of shark attacked the man, but officials say great whites had recently been reported in the area.

The man’s body had been recovered, said police while the beach and others nearby were closed.

Clinton Duffy, a shark expert from New Zealand’s Department of Conservation, told the Associated Press news agency that such attacks are rare.

“There are much lower levels of shark attacks here than in Australia,” he said.

_66095021_162781870“It’s possibly a function of how many people are in the water” in New Zealand’s cooler climate, he added, saying that sharks ignore people “99% of the time”.

For more on this story go to:

Police Statement: New Zealand Police

Muriwai Beach – fatal shark attack

February 27, 2013, 5:48 pm

A man has died following a shark attack at Muriwai today.

Inspector Shawn Rutene said the man, aged in his 40s, was swimming 200m offshore north from Maori Bay to Muriwai at about 1.30pm when he was attacked by a shark. His injuries were fatal.

“Police and surf life savers went out in two IRBs and fired on the shark. It rolled over and disappeared.”

The shark is thought to be about 12 -14 foot long.

Muriwai and surrounding beaches have been closed. This situation will be continually reassessed.

Police extend their deepest sympathy to the man’s family.





Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Speak Your Mind