September 30, 2020

Federer Beats Murray to Win Seventh Wimbledon Tennis Title


Pin It

Roger Federer beat Andy Murray in today’s Wimbledon men’s singles final to win the title at the All England Club for a seventh time.

The Swiss player won 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 on Centre Court to earn his first Grand Slam tennis title since the 2010 Australian Open.

Federer, who turns 31 next month, will regain the top ranking in the sport which he last held in 2010.

A tearful Murray has now lost all four of his Grand Slam finals. Britain’s 76-year wait for a male Wimbledon champion will be extended by at least another year.

Murray, 25, was aiming to become the first British man since Fred Perry in 1936 to lift a major singles trophy.

Federer fully deserved his victory, which not only sees him level Sampras on seven Wimbledon titles, but also secures him a record 286th week as world number one.

Having made poor starts in each of the previous three – all of which ended in straight-sets defeats – Murray knew it was vital to secure the early momentum.

All was going to plan as a couple of pummelling backhands down the line, a tactic many highlighted pre-match, helped Murray break in the opening game and then consolidate the advantage for a 2-0 lead.

Federer looked uneasy with the pace his opponent was setting and began deploying sliced groundstrokes to slow things down.

A majestic backhand landed on the baseline to engineer a break-back point in game four, and he converted it when Murray found the net.

Both men needed to serve their way out of trouble as the pressure mounted and, crucially, Murray produced a sensational volley at his feet to save the second of two break points in a 13-minute game eight.

He then struck with the help of a forehand pass that Federer ducked to avoid being hit – reminiscent of the aggression shown by Lendl during his career – and comfortably served out the first set.

Statistically, Murray actually improved in almost every area during the second, but the key difference was that he could not take his chances.

Whereas the 25-year-old converted both break points that came his way in the first set, he let two slip at 2-2 and another two at 4-4.

Federer held for 6-5 before going on the attack, and he came from 40-15 down to level the match with a sensational backhand drop volley.

Heavy rain arrived at at 16:14 BST with Federer 40-0 up in game three of set three, and the prospect of further downpours saw the roof closed.

When play resumed 35 minutes later the Swiss, who destroyed world number one Novak Djokovic indoors on Friday, was vastly superior and put Murray under the cosh in a marathon game five.

Murray was reeled in from 40-0, Federer moving to deuce when the Scot took a heavy tumble at the net, and he slipped again before finally succumbing on a sixth break point.

Federer served out with a crunching ace and averted danger early in the fourth set before striking for 4-2 with a cross-court backhand pass.

He wrapped up his first Grand Slam title since the 2010 Australian Open when Murray hooked a forehand into the tramlines.

For more on this story go to:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Speak Your Mind