November 29, 2021

Cayman: Process for dividing land for estate purposes does not require Planning Department stipulations

Pin It
Hon. Juliana O’Connor-Connolly.

The Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports, Agriculture and Lands (MEYSAL) and The Lands and Survey Department are reminding the public of Section 21A of the Register Land Law (2018 Revision) which stipulates a streamlined application process for the division of land for estate purposes. Persons solely interested in applying to subdivide and register land parcels for estate purposes, are no longer subject to the development conditions set by the Department of Planning. Most notable of these previous conditions which are no longer required is the stipulation to develop a 30-foot vehicular access to the land parcel/property in order to subdivide.

“Our goal is to reaffirm this provision of the Registered Land Law (2018 Revision) as it allows for a process that simply, makes the lives of those we serve better. Our government strives to keep in consultation with our citizens to produce tangible solutions to everyday challenges. It is significantly important for persons in our community wishing to divide estate land for non-development purposes. We encourage Caymanians who wish to take advantage of this provision in the Law to apply to the Registrar of Lands in writing,” added Minister for Lands, Hon. Juliana O’Connor-Connolly.

While the provision in the Law allows for the division of land for estate purposes without the need for approval from the Planning Department, approval under Section 21A does not allow for the development of any of the subdivided parcels unless those specific parcels comply with current planning laws.

To get full and unlimited access, at no cost, to the current Registered Land Law, visit or the Legislative Assembly for a printed copy.

Estate owners interested in applying for the division of land for estate purposes only, should write directly to the Registrar of Lands at the Lands and Survey Department by hand or by email. The application in writing must be accompanied by a plan prepared by a surveyor authorised under the Land Surveyors Law (1996 Revision).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About ieyenews

Speak Your Mind