July 1, 2022

Cayman: UPDATE: Search Operation Transitions to Search and Recovery, One Man Arrested

Pin It

UPDATE: 25 April 2022

Over this past weekend, 23 – 24 April, the Cayman Islands Coast Guard and RCIPS resumed search efforts for three men who were reported to have fallen overboard from a vessel in the North Sound on Friday, 22 April, without success. During searches on Sunday, 24 April, life vests and other items were recovered from mangroves in the vicinity of Uncle Bob Road, West Bay. However, these have been determined not to be related to the missing men.

As of this morning, 25 April, CICG and RCIPS search operations have transitioned from search and rescue to search and recovery. “Due to the sea conditions and the time elapsed since they first entered the water, it is unlikely that the men will be found alive, however we remain hopeful,” says Commander Robert Scotland of the CICG.

It has been determined that the packages recovered from the water on Friday contain a quantity of ganja, with a total weight (including packaging) of approximately 945lbs.

The man, age 35 of Jamaica, who was recovered from the water on Friday has been released from hospital. He was arrested and has been formally charged with Illegal Landing and Importation of Ganja, and appears in court today, 25 April.

The recovered packages are being forensically processed and will subsequently be scheduled for destruction.

Original Story 22 April

Just after 9AM today, 22 April, the Cayman Islands Coast Guard (CICG) Operations and Rescue Command Centre (ORCC) were informed of floating packages in the general area of Governor’s Harbour Channel. The CICG, assisted by the Cayman Islands Fire Service (CIFS) deployed to the area, recovered the package reported and immediately began a search in the surrounding area where the package was recovered. Several other packages were recovered during the search between Star Fish Point in North Side and Barkers in West Bay.

Just after 1PM, while conducting a search in the Blowers area, officers on board the CIFS vessel located a floating Male amongst several packages. The man was recovered from the water and immediately rendered first aid and taken to shore where he was then transported by ambulance to the hospital where he is currently undergoing treatment.

Further efforts were made by the CICG, CIFS and the RCIPS helicopter to locate other persons who were said to have been on board the vessel that capsized, however, no further sightings were made.

Efforts were stood down at 5PM today (22) and will resume tomorrow (23).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About ieyenews

Speak Your Mind